Former Olympic Gold Medallist Explains Why Roger Federer Withdrew from Australian Open 2021

Author

Categories

Share

The entire tennis world eagerly waited for the Swiss maestro Roger Federer to return at the 2021 Australian Open. However, due to not being fully prepared, the 39-year-old has withdrawn from the first slam of the year. His compatriots and retired tennis players Marc Rosset and Yves Allegro provided their inputs on the situation.

The gold medalist from the 1992 Olympic Games is also disappointed hearing the news. Rosset said, “Like everyone else, I was looking forward to getting up in the morning and watching a Federer match under the Australian sun. It became one of our rituals at the start of the year.”

Considering the current scenario, Rosset stated that the decision has not come totally out of the blue. He added, “I’m sad for him but not at all surprised.” The situation has arisen from delay in the second operation for his right knee, delaying his recovery.

(All quotes have been translated via Google Translate)

Read More: Why Roger Federer Withdrew From Australian Open 2021?

Rosset and Allegro back Roger Federer on his decision

Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates winning match point during his Men’s Singles first-round match against Steve Johnson of the United States of America on day one of the 2020 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 20, 2020, in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

The 20-time Grand Slam winner is also one of the most emotionally involved players in tennis. Therefore, the decision must have been equally hard for him, as it is for tennis fans to accept. Rosset believes that Federer isn’t someone who plays with his body, but rather someone who takes a lot of precautions.

The 50-year-old explained, “Rog had said that the second operation had been a halt, that he was late. Nadal and him always tell the truth, just listen to them. At 39, he probably needs more time to be reassured. I can imagine he wants to be 100% sure that it won’t let up.”

Federer’s former doubles partner Yves added, “It’s quite logical not to go to Australia where forty and matches in five sets awaited him. All his career, Rog only lined up if he was 100% physically.”

Earlier, the current World No. 5 had revealed his desire to win the Olympics gold. Yves suggested that Federer will have more time to prepare for Wimbledon and Olympic Games, his top-priorities.

Read More: Roger Federer Aims for Olympic Medal and Grand Slam Title in 2021

Federer is training with Junior French Open champion in Dubai

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA – Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates after winning a point during his Men’s Singles third round match against John Millman of Australia on day five of the 2020 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

The withdrawal has raised up a few questions about Federer’s season, and Yves tried to clear out a few. The 42-year-old added, “He is only now starting to increase in intensity, in the company of Dominic Stricker, who is in Dubai with him.”

Both Swiss players claimed that the 103 ATP titles winner will have a full-on 2021 season. Tennis fans, who awaited his arrival in Melbourne, will hope to see him play early in the year. Federer, too, would be dying to take on the court in a professional tennis match very soon.

Also Read: After Roger Federer, Lucas Pouille Announces Sad News Ahead of Australian Open 2021

Author

Share